If divorce is in your future because you and your spouse have exhausted all ways of making your marriage work and one or both of you have decided to end the marriage, you need to understand what is going to happen.
Divorce is tough, whether it is done by agreement or not. When you get a divorce you are dividing your money, your property, your children s lives and having to start a whole new life on your own. Divorce can happen to you whether you want it to or not. It only takes one person to end a marriage.
If you feel that divorce may be in your future, learn all you can about your rights and the processes that are available, and keep these things in mind:
1. Don’t sign anything without the advice of an attorney. You will be bound by what you sign and you can t undo it later.
2. Don’t leave home without the advice of an attorney. Learn how your leaving could affect you, your rights and your family.
3. Don’t use your kids as weapons or as messenger and treat each other with respect no matter how hurt or angry you are.
4. Always work for a settlement agreement if a fair one is possible and choose an attorney who will help you follow a smart course of action.
5. Learn about the processes that are available such as contested divorces, uncontested divorces, litigation, mediation, and collaborative approaches.