1. Get legal advice early.
2. Do not move out of the house without having consulted a family law attorney.
3. Do not sign anything without having consulted a family law attorney.
4. Keep a written journal of key events or conversations.
5. Be fair, but protect yourself.
6. Explore all avenues for saving your marriage before jumping into divorce; if your marriage cannot be saved, work with your attorney to develop the best process for your individual situation.
7. Gather financial documents.
8. Make sure you have funds at your disposal for an attorney and for temporary expenses.
9. Keep your children out of the middle no matter what their ages and keep their best interest foremost in your mind and your heart.
10. Consider any temporary measures necessary to preserve assets or protect credit.