In Blog

Virginia will recognize your child support order from another state and can help collect support from a non-paying parent. A parent who has a child support award from another state who wants to enforce the order or modify the child support amount in Virginia should request to register the order in the proper juvenile and domestic relations district court, circuit court, or the Department of Social Services. The parent will need to fill out a standard form, certify the amount of back child support owed, if any, and provide various copies of the child support order. The parent who wants to enforce the child support order may also choose to have payments made to a state support enforcement agency, such as the Department of Child Support Enforcement. If the paying parent has moved away from Virginia, it may be necessary to seek a modification of the child support order in a different state. Because the process of registering, enforcing, and modifying an out of state child support order can be complicated and confusing, it is advisable to seek the advice of an experienced attorney. — By Heather Wheelock Winter, Associate at Hall & Hall.

Contact Us

Information submitted via email is not private, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Start typing and press Enter to search