In Blog

Your child custody order from another state will be recognized in Virginia and the custody and visitation provisions can be enforced across state lines. To enforce or modify the child custody order, a parent should register the out-of-state order. To register the child custody order, a parent should contact the appropriate juvenile and domestic relations district court in Virginia with a request for registration and copies of the order. It is also possible to ask for expedited enforcement and temporary visitation in certain situations. Handling custody and visitation matters when parents live in different states or have a previous order from another state are complicated and it is advisable to seek the advice of an experienced attorney. — By Heather Wheelock Winter, Associate at Hall & Hall

Contact Us

Information submitted via email is not private, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Start typing and press Enter to search